Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Journey to IRONMAN: The Taper

There is nothing more glorious then that 2 week time before a big event.  Not only is it exciting because what you have been training for is almost here, but it is heaven for a body tired from months and months and months of training.  We endurance athletes like to call it tapering, but for the lay person its called REST!  AHHH and it is delightful.

My running buddy Sarah and I will hit the Las Vegas Strip this coming Sunday night for our big race. 26.2 miles of non stop running.  It will be her first marathon and my 5th.  No matter how many I do, the anticipation is the same.  Nervous, yes, but SO SO SO excited.

But the tapering......man is it nice.  You see when you taper, you give yourself the excuse to wake up and do NOTHING.  Well nothing but eat, oh and maybe stretch.  For the first time in 4 months the focus is on recovery and rest instead of working hard.  It is glorious.

Sarah and I met for an easy 6 the other day and laughed at 1. how easy it was and 2. how nice it was to not have to run farther than that.


We earned our tapering time.  We have run miles and miles and miles for it.

It feels so good.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for both of you! Have to be honest tho- I'm just a bit jealous of your running right now! Looking forward to hitting the streets!

    ReplyDelete