Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Nervous Energy

I couldn't sleep last night.  I didn't have any caffeine.  I should have been exhausted, but I wasn't.  I tried going to bed at 10:30 and tossed around until midnight when I went to the couch.  I slept...sort of for a couple of hours, woke up at 3 and tossed until my little Bee woke up at 5:30.  I wasn't even sad to have to get up early.  I just couldn't sleep.  I wasn't restless or worried I was just energized.


I have a big weekend coming up.  Its one of those weekends that marks another first in my journey towards IRONMAN.  My first Triathlon.......EVER.  Not only is that big, but I will be doing a 200 mile relay the two days prior.  What can I say?  I am a glutton for "Go Big or Go Home!"


The Relay is gonna be fun.  Exhausting, but fun.  Bob and I are on a team of 12 that will run from Fort Collins to Steamboat Springs in the Wild West Relay.  Bob and I have to each run only about a total of 18 miles each (only) over 3 separate legs.  Its gonna be great, even if his 9 miler and my 8 miler are done around the midnight hour Friday night.  Sleep anyone?....NAH!  I'm nervous for many reasons.  The miles....no problem, the terrain, no sleep, and Rocky Mountain wildlife, um yeah.  Plus the fact that this weekend will mark the first time since having Evie that I will not be with her for 2 nights.  I know beyond doubt that she will be fine, Memaw and Papa are awesome, but I just miss her already.  Man I love my girls.  Its so important to learn to let go, but OY, the reality is hard!



So we roll into Steamboat Springs around 2PM on Saturday, celebrate our accomplishment, get in the car and head back to town. Sunday morning bright and early is the Tri for the Cure!


My sweet friend Carolyn asked me if I would do this triathlon with her and I thought it the perfect event to introduce myself to the world of triathloning.  The Tri for the Cure is a sprint distance Tri.  I will swim 1/2 mile in the Cherry Creek Reservoir, bike 12 miles and then finish off with a 3.1 mile run.  The event will take me about an hour and a half, only a fraction of what IRONMAN will take me, but the perfect starting place. I'm nervous, but so excited.  When you set yourself a goal of IRONMAN, you begin a journey.  Each step takes you closer and I am hit with the reality that its starting.....my journey to the biggest physical event of my life.  I got my tri suit this week and it looks awesome.  I feel strong and ready, but nervous.


This weekend is a biggie, and I am full of nervous energy.  Time to turn that energy into fuel.

Its my time!

No comments:

Post a Comment