Friday, December 27, 2013

Traditions

As Bob and I have started our family, the conversation of traditions has been had numerous times.  Mixing two traditions is challenging, but really figuring out what kind of traditions we want separate from our own upbringing can be a little overwhelming and thought provoking.  Traditions set in motion during childhood seat themselves upon the mind and become engraved on the heart.  As Bob and I are deciding what we want our little family traditions to be we are immersing our girls in the traditions that we both grew up with.

One of the traditions that is a part of my life is pie making.  My Grandma Fran was an exquisite pie maker and made it a point to pass down her wisdom to me.




Its special to me and I have fond memories of Grandma's floured hands carefully rolling out the dough, her words echoing, "Now Bethany, remember not to handle the dough too much, you'll make it stiff."  She would make pumpkin, apple, cherry, strawberry, raspberry and all sorts of pies.  Holidays weren't the same without the tradition of Gran Fran's pies.



I'm so glad she took the time all those years ago to impart her wisdom to me.  I treasure it, especially now that she has gone.  As the one year of her passing arrives I have found myself clinging to the memories I have of her.  It might just be my paltry attempt at keeping her close during this season.  Perhaps it is simply a way to be near her.  I don't know, but making pies is definitely one of those traditions that I am going to keep for my girls.

As I did each one of the precious steps Gramma used to do, I watched with joy as Lily gleefully asked, "Mommy, can I help?"  and I couldn't help but smile when she helped me squish the edges.



In times like holidays its easy to miss the ones we have lost.  I suppose that is the great thing about traditions, they help us remember.  I look forward to establishing our own family traditions, but am grateful for the ones already handed down.

And of course, no pie making tradition would be Grandma Frans without a little cinnamon sugar crisp with the left over dough.....Yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment