Thursday, December 19, 2013

I Will.....Do What is Right

A few days ago, I went to Target.  After unloading the kiddos, pushing the cart through the crazy aisles, navigating the checkout line and wrestling the bags and kiddos back into the car, I looked into the cart to discover a small ball (stocking stuffer) and a some ribbon that had managed to make it out of the store unpaid for.  Oh dear.

I grabbed them and hopped into the car to find Evie screaming.  I had somewhere to be so I put the items on the passenger seat and pulled out. In the time it took me to get myself back out on the main road I had debated on whether or not I REALLY needed to return them.  They were such small items, and I spend SO much at Target and the thought of the work it would take merely to go there again and return them seemed exhausting.  Gosh it really wouldn't matter, would it?  Then I had this complete spiritual attack of conscience and realized that if I gave Lily that ball, every time I looked at it I would know.  My integrity would have a chink and how could I teach my little ones about honesty when I had given up mine so easily?  No I would return them, as soon as I could.


How grateful I am to have had that happen to me.  My own personal moment to do what was right.  I talked to Lily about it and she watched as I humbled myself, inconvenienced myself and returned the small items.  I'm grateful because 3 days later my young Lily would find herself faced with her own opportunity......

The concept is simple to a toddler.  Mom puts what she wants in the cart and it comes home.  Well, the other day we walked to the TJ Max right by our house.  I had the stroller with Evie and Lily walked along beside me.  Upon returning home I discovered that Lily had hidden a container of brightly colored cookie decorating sugar.  I pulled it out and asked her about it. "Mommy, I just wanted it."  It made sense to her, but she failed to connect that it wasn't hers to have.  We had a long conversation and I told her that just like Mommy had to return the ball and ribbon, she needed to take back the sugar crystals.  She was hesitant at first.  The reality of her choice evident on her little face.  Doing what is right is sometimes so hard.

I walked her back over, she gave the sugar crystals back to one of the workers and quietly said she was sorry.  On our way back home I couldn't praise her enough for making the right decision and doing it with a happy heart.

Thank You Lord for reminding me that no matter whether you are an adult or child the choice can still be hard.  Its easy to do what is wrong for the sake of convenience or selfishness, but takes courage to do what is right even in the little simple things.

No matter what happens in life we will be a family that does what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment