Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sub Zero Sub Two

So I have been a runner for many years.  I started running in high school and the hobby just stuck.  The running high that it gives me is indescribable and it is much cheaper than therapy.  Since running I have done many races many of which have been half marathons.  With every half marathon, I have always had times just over 2 hours. 2:02, 2:04, 2:11, 2:07, 2:01.  I have never been able to crack the 2 hour barrier.  Running for a time goal is not really enjoyable to me because I run for fun.  If it ceases to be enjoyable, I hate it, but this is one time goal that I have been determined to do.  Just once.


6 months after having a baby might, to many, have been too soon to attempt such a goal, but I have been in a different physical and mental place since delivering Evie.  That experience changed how I see myself and has completely altered my perception of whats possible.  I AM STRONG.  I can do anything that I put my mind too.  I was going to break that barrier.

Of course, the temperatures out here in Denver have been miserably cold.  Goodness. And yesterday was no exception.  We woke up to -6 and come start time at the Fa La Half Marathon it was a balmy 0.  We huddled in the car until right before the start.  When it was time we strapped on our Vibrams, put on our hats and gloves and braced for the cold.



Bob was amazing and paced for me.  Basically what that means is that I just needed to stay with him and let him get me across the finish.  I didn't have to worry about time, pace, distance, food or water, he did it all.  What an amazing husband I have.  He was encouraging and uplifting.  He held me back when I pushed too hard, and pushed me when I started fading.  HE WAS AWESOME!

The snowy trail was perfect and with only a couple hundred runners it was open and spacious.  Sure my butt, legs, arms and wrists were frozen, but it was a beautiful run.

I felt so strong the entire time.  When we headed back towards the finish lineI knew I had it.  I pushed a little bit harder, and passed a few of those runners I had followed for 11 miles.  This was my time, my race.  Nothing is stopping me now!


I crossed the finish line at 1:56:11 and felt AMAZING!  I had done it, and done it well.  I saw my girls at the finish line and smiled.  How special for them to see their mother accomplish her goal.  I hope they know what I have just begun to learn.  Strength of mind, strength of character, strength of will and strength of heart give you a beauty time can't take away.  The strong woman is a beautiful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment