Monday, December 28, 2009

Where Are We??

Well, Bob and I headed to Colorado for Christmas this year. We packed our Nissan Xterra and started the 870 mile trek. Because of the weather we headed up the backside of the Rocky Mountains. The "back way" is a bit more confusing and challenging with numerous turns and roads that you can miss. Well, Bob and I were having such a good time that we took a wrong turn and ended up driving 20 miles in the wrong direction. I don't know why it took us so long to figure it out, but we started to notice that our 4 lane highway skinnied down to a two lane highway and all of a sudden we were in this little mountain town called Velarde. Definitely not in Kansas anymore! So once Bob and I giggled about our lack of navigating we got turned around and headed in the right direction. We had to go through a small little podunk town in order to get to the right highway and we couldn't help but take pictures.





As you can see, Rocky didn't mind too much. He got more room than we did and spent all of the time hovered over the console. He just slept and slept. He is such a good traveller! He just loves being with Bob and I even if it means 16 hours in the car.


We made it to Colorado after driving in the snow for 6 hours. That was a treat. Our little Xterra did really well without snow tires or 4 wheel drive, but it is definitely an Arizona highway mobile!! The day after we arrived it snowed all day! Talk about a white Christmas. Bob and I braved the cold and the snow to go running up at altitude.






Bob is working towards a marathon and what better training than 12 degrees, 8000 foot elevation and uphill running. Yeah, everyone thought we were a little crazy, but we made it 3 miles together. Talk about training. Rocky and Oreo came with us and they had a blast. They both jumped through the 2 feet of snow on the side of the road and ran circles around us. Such a good time. We decided to stay in all day and eat Christmas goodies and play games. Thank you Traci for teaching us Five Crowns. That was a hit!! We played and ate and played and ate. AHHHHHH CHRISTMAS!!!

On Christmas Eve, Mom and I went out for a long Snow Shoe in the fresh snow. What a blast. We trekked through boatloads of snow behind our house and had Oreo, Skittles and Rocky with us. Rocky looked like the abominable snowman and had a blast leaping through the snow.








Mom always carries treats with her and Rocky learned really quickly that she was the best one to hang around. Such fun and what a workout!!! I was even able to find a perfect tree to put the camera on a timer so that I could get mom and I together. Love you Mom!

Once we got home my cousins Derek and Chase and their wives Stacie and Beth all came up.



Once everyone got up to Mom and Dad's we all headed over to a party in the neighborhood. We went over to this beautiful log cabin that overlooked the City of Denver. Absolutely breathtaking. O to live in the Mountains. Mom and I took our guitars and played Christmas carols for everyone. I haven't played guitar in a while and my fingers were so sore. So to soothe the pain I drank more wine! It was wonderful! We had such a great time and the food at the party was awesome! Bob and I were giggling because the owners had an outside bonfire going and Bob and I could not imagine sitting outside for any period of time even if there was a fire available.
It was so cold!!!!!





After the party we all headed home and watched" White Christmas"! Such a perfect Christmas Eve movie. All of my cousins stayed up with us so that we could have Christmas together. More about that later.

2 comments:

  1. I have so many comments: These are all great pictures and you look beautiful! So glad to see I am not the only idiot in the holiday travel department(see blog). We have a new game to teach you: Quiddler...kind of like 5 crowns...game night when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I have no comment about your choice to run at all, let alone to do so at 12 degrees, you know how I feel about that :)

    ReplyDelete