Thursday, December 3, 2009

I almost beat the Turkey...



Well I finished my Turkey Trot with time to spare. My goal this year was to run the 6 miles in under 60 minutes. As I crossed the 6 mile marker the time was 58.39! I didn't beat the Turkey, but I sure tried!


This year Bob and Rocky came with me to the race and were my biggest fans. Once I got all checked in, I had to wait an hour for the race to start so the three of us found a warm spot in the park and just relaxed. You can see Rocky enjoyed it immensley!


I was surprised how difficult the 6 miles was this year. All of my training runs had been in the mornings when it was 50-55 degrees or so. Let me tell you, I can run forever when it is cold out. Well, the race started at 9am and it was 70-80 degrees when I crossed the starting line. A bit warmer than I had planned for. On top of the heat, the race ran uphill for about 4 miles of the 6. I was not expecting that. Talk about demoralizing! Just when you think you are in shape, the hills put you right back in your place. What even makes it worse is when the 75 year old grandma comes running by you looking like it is no big deal. Anyways, I finished strong and trotted my way across the finish line!


After the race we headed over to the Gjersvigs for Turkey time! This year our Pastor at Central Christian challenged all of the congregation to do something a little different for the 3 days leading up to Thanksgiving. We are in a series called "Subconscience," I know it isn't a word. The point of the series is that we have an inner "sub" conscience that understands right and wrong, justice and injustice. He has really brought to light that we as Christians should be aware of the poverty, hunger, death and devastation that exists in and around the world. He has been challenging us to get involved. Anyways, the Sunday before Thanksgiving he asked if we would be willing to live on rice, beans and water until Thanksgiving. So much of the world lives on that everyday. So Bob and I took up the challenge. We didn't make it the full three days, but we both experienced what it would be like and were really amazed. It was much more difficult than we thought. I have never been so thankful for my Thanksgiving Turkey!

And Turkey there was! We had 9 side dishes, a ham, 2 turkeys, 4 pies, tiramisu, and gingerbread. It was amazing! I will tell you, it really made me realize how unbelievably blessed I am. All of Bob and my best friends got together and shared the holiday. It was wonderful! Right before we ate, we all went around and said what we were thankful for. I thought I would share what I am thankful for with you. This year I am thankful for trials. I know it sounds a bit strange, but 2009 has been a challenging year. Infertility and losing our dear friend Armando have been the greatest challenges this year. The sense of loss and uncertainty has been overwhelming.


Through it all, the Lord has brought so much healing, peace, hope and promise. Bob and my relationship has never been stronger, and I have never felt such power in my friendships. Trials show us God's grace and give us an opportunity to be more thankful and love in bigger ways. Thank you Lord for trials because they give me a chance to put my trust in You!

On Saturday we went and picked up our new bedframe which was my birthday present this year. Isn't it cute? You can see that Maddie and Rocky wanted to be a part of the process!




No comments:

Post a Comment