Monday, May 1, 2023

Through the Canyon

Well we Longmires are always doing something big and Bob's 100 mile run this year is the big to do.  Of course we had to go back to the Grand Canyon for a training run and even though I was very much not interested in the long trek through the canyon, Bob and a small group of friends took on the canyon and completed about 34 miles.





This year with all of the rain, the Grand Canyon was not fully open from rim to rim.  The North side of the canyon was completely shut down and inaccessible considering a new river has literally washed away part of the trail!  Kind of wild.  




I hung with my girlfriend Meg and a couple of the other ladies planning to just do some hiking.  It is always so amazing to be in the canyon.  Everything about the place is just spectacular.






I promised myself that I would only do about 10 total miles given the intensity of Yoga Teacher Training and the amount of Yoga I still was required to get done following our trip.  I had very little recovery time to be sore.  I made it all the way to Indian Gardens and then made the turn back up the South Side.  I turned on a podcast and enjoyed the trek back up the canyon on my own.  Once I hit the top I showered, read my book and hit the rim trail for a lovely peaceful stroll.  This place is grand!



Meanwhile Bob, Joe, Bridgit, and Chris managed to get as far as they could through the Box Canyon and up towards the North Rim.  






They stopped in the river mid run and fully cooled off.  What fun!








While they werent able to complete the R2R2R they had a spectacular day in the canyon and found themselves tired and hungry around 5pm.


There is nothing quite like the Grand Canyon.  Any time spent in this place is magical and I am looking forward to many more adventures here!







No comments:

Post a Comment