Thursday, March 17, 2022

The Lost Dutchman Half Mary 2022

Last month was a fun month of running.  After the half marathon with my girlfriend Rachel, I signed Bob and I up for an additional half marathon (the medal was too cool not to), and a 30k trail race.  I mean go big or go home right? (famous last words)

Bob and I LOVE the Lost Dutchman Race series.  The marathon is absolutely spectacular but we only had legs for the half.  The sunrise over the Superstitions and the amazing community of runners is what makes this local race such a fun one.  Bob and I have not done the half marathon for a great many years and it was fun to be back at the start.


I am NOT trained to run fast.  At the time of this race I was "trail trained" we'll call it.  Trail running and road running are two different ballgames.  In true Longmire form, Bob leans over to me in the car and says, "You can totally go sub 2 ya know!"  I honestly had no intention of giving that a real try. 2:05 or 2:08 was a more realistic challenge, but he threw it out there and I instantly was like........"hmmmm......maybe I could?"  I started doing the math and it would require a 9:10 average pace on a HARD course.  AYAYAYAYAYAY.  That was going to be hard...........but maybe I could?

I totally got the start time mixed up so we showed up at the start 5 minutes after the gun went off.  This is what I love about small races........We just had our moment of glory across the pad and.......


Got an amazing race picture to boot!  We both took off flying and I shifted into stategy mode real quick.  


I mean....look at that view?  

But I digress.  I know the course and knew that the first 2 miles are flat followed by 2.5 downhill miles (which were going to be up on the way home). I decided to put as much time as possible in the bank and ran out at 8:45 (way to fast for my training).  I was hoping that with fuel, gumption, and planning, I would hit the wall at mile 12 having put enough time in the bank to bring me in under 2 hours.  It was a risky shot, but I took it.


After mile 5 the course rolls up and down until the turn around at the top of a steep hill. It tries to steal time everywhere and its mentally challenging to boot.

I was doing it and I hit mile 8.5 (that big long hill) with enough time to give myself a little bit of a break on speed, but I absolutely could not stop, walk, or slow below 10:00 pace to maintain the hope of a sub 2.

Blasted I did it and I found myself on the 2 miles flat home looking at my watch going, "Maybe, its going to be close and you are going to have to give it everything you have, but maybe."

At mile 12 I was toast.  Holding a 9:00 pace was very hard, it was taking everything I had, all the yoga breathing, determined belief, and self talk to hold it.  It was going to be so close.

I was hurting, but the finish was so close.  I rounded the corner to the finish line with 30 seconds to complete .2 miles.  I gave it all, everything was hurting, I had pushed so hard..


And I came across the finish with 10 seconds to spare.  

Bob 1:38:42
Bethany 1:59:50


Bob had a spectacular race at the front of the pack.  He pushed hard and came in at a smooth 1:38.  Which earned him a 4th in his age group!  Had he known where he stood, he easily could have pushed for 3rd.  Crazy running talent.


It was a huge sufferfest, but the medals were so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment