Tuesday, October 19, 2021

A Visit to Manitou Springs

Okay, so Bob and I are leaving for Scotland in a mere 5 hours from right now, but I am going to make sure this blog is up and done before I bombard you with the magic of the Scottish Isle!  The last month has been quite a doozy.  With all of the travel restrictions and documentation required for international travel, I won't lie, my entire self has been completely preoccupied.......and stressed.  But that is a post for another time.  Lets go back to Labor Day Weekend......

Bob and Matt have been crushing it with their company and they recently acquired the City of Manitou Springs as a client.  It is a smaller job, but required that Bob meet with the City Manager and other leaders to kick off the project.  So we dropped the girls with Memaw and Papa and I tagged along (this companion pass should be used after all) over Labor Day weekend (yes, I know I am behind).


Growing up in Colorado I have been to Colorado Springs and Manitou a handful of times, but have never spent a long amount of time in either.  Its a fantastic place.  So quaint and so cute and funky.  Bob found this amazing little historical hotel called the Buffalo Lodge. This lodge is completely catered to cyclists and every room and space was bicycle themed.  You can even rent bikes for free to toodle around the City.  Such a great place.





Our room was full of little touches that made the whole experience such fun one.



We spent the first afternoon in Colorado City just a small jump down from Manitou.  We ate at a fantastic Greek restaurant where we did something really adventurous.  We told the waitress to surprise us with our entree.  We had a delicious chicken dish that was so good.  We finished with a traditional Greek digestive shot and yelled Opah! before running back to the car in the pouring rain.


The next morning, Bob had a meeting with the City so I ventured out on my own and found a yoga home for some luxuriously sweaty hot yoga.


Once I got all warmed up we headed to the Incline!  I seriously underestimated this thing.  WOW.







It is straight up out of the parking lot and it does not ever let up.  Its over 2700 feet of climbing on steps both small, big, and everywhere in between.  I had this notion of not stopping until we got to the top.  HA  that lasted about 800 steps before I was like, okay.....time for a new strategy!





Bob was able to do it completely without stopping even though he quite literally crawled about 500 steps.  We hit the top thoroughly humbled at a 43 and 55 min timeframe.  That was amazingly challenging, but SO MUCH FUN!



Check that one of the list!







We decided to hike down the long way instead of make the return step trip and the views were spectacular.  Gorgeous place.  


We found ourselves at a brewery and a candy shop in Manitou.  Something about calories burned, but really we just wanted to eat all the things.

Our last big day in Manitou we drove out to the Royal Gorge.  Again, this was something I have never done and it was so great to see.




Bob and I totally geeked out and rode the huge swing over the canyon and the zipline.  I won't lie, even though I know all the safety things are in place when you huck yourselves out over that open canyon, you say a real quick prayer that all of this equipment is actually really good equipment.










The suspension bridge that remains over the gorge was a treat too.  Serious respect to all of the people years ago who bridged this gap so I could do handstands on it!


We headed home to gear up for our next big adventure to Scotland and I just couldn't help but wonder......if I were a bird......

I would never stop flying.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment