Sunday, March 28, 2021

Training Again, For Something BIG

Last October when asked if Bob and I wanted to do Rim to Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon, I casually and confidently said, SURE (Bob was nearby)!  It might have been the alcohol, the candy (it was Halloween night), or the company, but when Bridgit asked if we wanted to complete the ultra monster, I didn't even hesitate.  That sounds like a great idea!  Then I woke up the next day and realized that it was a 45 mile ultra event.......in the GRAND CANYON.  Oh Lord. 

Okay, lets step back.  Honestly, for all of my crazy athletic pursuits, I have never wanted to be an ultra runner. So much running.  It doesn't appeal to me (and I am more confident of that now!).  BUT doing the epic Rim to Rim to Rim has always been on my bucket list and after my foot injury I had almost hung up the possibility of ever being able to do it.  But, thanks to my incredible Chiropractor (Tyson Marostica, AZ Sports Clinic....shameless plug, the man is my hero), not only do I run again, but I am going to run across the Grand Canyon and put another checkmark on my life.

But ya'll, this is big, and the ultra training on trails is hard.  So much fun, but hard.  My body is capable of a great many things, but this kind of relentless punishment is rough.  





95% of my running is now exclusively on trails.  I have rolled an ankle, tripped countless times, stubbed all of my toes, and questioned my sanity on more than one occasion.  Trail running is easier and harder than road running.  Its slower which is so nice.  The pressure of pace completely leaves out on the trail.  Its harder because its technical and uneven, and constantly challenging all of the muscles in your feet, knees, and hips.  Its also more challenging on the mind.  Trail demands you constantly stay connected to the trail in front of you.  The desert is not forgiving and if you zone out, you trip over all the rocks......and let me tell you, they are everywhere.....that and cactus. 


But we are doing it and adjusting, and getting in shape.  The past 2 months have been intense and focused on not only doing trails, but doing elevation.  When in doubt "GO UP" has been my motto.  Grand Canyon has well over 10,000 feet of elevation gain on its R3 map, so no matter how tired my legs are, they still need to be able to go up.  All of the high elevation trails in the Hawes Trail System that I swore I would never run, are now my weekly diet.  (never say never)











The challenge of distance running out on our trails has been empowering, terrifying, and incredible.  I repeat, I don't want to be an ultra distance runner, but accomplishing this big thing once in my life feels pretty dam good.  Doing it with my better half.....even better.



I am perfectly terrified of doing this big thing, but I have put in the work without wrecking my body and I am very excited to conquer the incredible place that is The Grand Canyon! 



No comments:

Post a Comment