Friday, January 15, 2021

Las Sendas Half Marathon 2021

Ever since my foot injury I have not been overly involved in my dear running community the Las Sendas Run Bike Tri Club.  I will tell you, during IRONMAN this group literally was the wind beneath my wings.  I never considered myself someone who needed running partners, but then I met all of these lovely people and my opinion changed.  The past couple of years while recovering from my foot and all the things I have found out just how much I miss the constant involvement with this group.  They are life giving and I am determined to find more time to be with them even if I have to make friends with the 4am alarm clock again!


Last week amidst losing Ashley and supporting the family, I went to bed on Friday evening not sure I was going to successfully be able to run 13.1 miles with the Las Sendas group.  I signed up to run this with the group after so many races were cancelled and we all decided to hold an underground race.  

I hadn't slept very well, but if there is one thing I know for sure, exercise and community heals the heart.  It just does and the hug of all these individuals was truly cathartic.

I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning, met my people and started the run at the top of Usery.  I ran the race with my girlfriend Bridgit (who is training for a 6o mile race) and my sweet friend Lauren.  We talked and laughed and enjoyed the no pressure run.


Upon finishing we all got together and had snacks, water, conversation and all the things that make this group so powerful.  Bob and I had even purchased a really cool space station medal for a virtual race and I was finally able to hang it on the board.


I truly would never have thought that virtual races would be such an enjoyment for me, but what can I say, I really like running for the bling!  COVID has put such a kabosh on big races, but there are still carrots to chase and people to chase them with.  I am honestly just deeply grateful that I have a foot that not only lets me run, but is going to take me through the Grand Canyon this Spring.....TWICE! God is in the business of redemption no doubt.



Last week was a hard week, but it was also good, really good.  Life springs new and the joy of living in community reminds us of how deeply we are loved and cared for.  Super grateful for these therapists!  They are a pretty sweet bunch.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment