Thursday, April 16, 2020

I Failed, But Jesus Still Lives

 Last Sunday was a very odd holiday for us.  I wont lie, I feel like I completely failed Easter this year.


I know, I know, I didn't.  Right now during quarantine there is very little we can fail at.  This whole thing is new, unsettled, and completely out of sorts. Nothing is normal, nothing is as it usually is.  BUT as we leave Easter I can't help feel like when the rubber met the road I failed.

Growing up I can remember the Easter holiday being a well celebrated event.  We always went and got a fancy new Easter dress and there were numerous events from Palm Sunday, Good Friday, and of course the sunrise services on Easter morning.  My family was involved in all of them and as I grew up both my mom and I sang in most of the services. There was so much to do around the holiday and so many ways that we remembered the incredible gift of the Savior's death.

I didn't get my girls an Easter dress this year, and I completely forgot about Palm Sunday.  There were no Hosannas, or triumphal entry celebrations.  On Good Friday we didn't talk about HIS death.  We watched Star Wars, and ate pizza.  On Sunday we went hiking and ate funfetti pancakes. I didn't make a fancy dinner, we didn't take a fancy family photo.




 I did none of it. 

But I didn't forget to talk about Jesus and we remembered the why. We made crafts and painted a mural on our garage wall.  The beauty of Jesus was evident in my girls.  In fact, on Good Friday, Lily turned to us and reminded us that Jesus died on that day, but that it was okay, because He rose 3 days later.  Lily definitely didn't fail.

So I suppose neither did I.   I was hit with the reality that there isn't a set list of things to do to properly celebrate Easter and that maybe this year we truly celebrated the resurrection because it was simple.  He is Risen! 


That's it.

He has defeated it all, death, COVID-19, sin.  None of the things that we want to matter, matter, because at the end of the day.....

HE DOES NOT FAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment