Friday, April 24, 2020

Chasing Tall

You know, when Bob and I were dating we spent many hours hiking, climbing, and winter camping.  I can't tell you how many times we would drive up to Saint Mary's Glacier, hike up to the ice and then camp.  We did it often, and always after we did we would find ourselves at IHOP....or Beau Jo's.  Gosh those were fun days.

Bob was always the leader on the trek up the mountain, and I can remember countless times of just putting one foot in front of the other under a 40 pound pack and keeping my eyes on his boots.  He's got legs.....for days and I......well, I don't, so I can remember times of breathing so heavy just to hold him.  I chased him everywhere and while we are pretty good at sharing the lead these days, I still find myself most content behind, chasing tall.


Our girls are amazing and we have reached the "Mom and dad can run together status and still find our house in tact" phase of parenting.  Its amazing and he and I both are no longer worried about leaving them at home for 2 or more hours.  Point in fact, they do much better together when we are not in the house #WINNING!


I am a distance runner again and I have found this unbelievable peace and purpose out on the trails.  Honestly guys, during the week I only ever run once on the pavement.  The desert calls to me too much.  Frankly it calls to my dog too, and Ellie just comes alive when we make that left onto the trail system.  

Bob and I headed out last weekend for a nice long run.  We ended up doing just shy of 10 miles. I won't lie coming back from my foot injury has been fun and exhausting.  It takes a long time to get your body comfortable with doing distance on regular basis.  I have been doing north of 8 to 10 miles every weekend and swimming, biking, yoga-ing, and weightlifting throughout the week.  I'm tired.....

BUT I am so happy.  I love endurance and, call me crazy, I love feeling that successful body fatigue of a trail well run.  Even if my legs are blood shot.  


I am so glad that through all of our marriage we have continued to find a lot of joy together chasing each other around mountains.  This season has been full of moments like these and I look forward to many more.


No comments:

Post a Comment