Wednesday, September 19, 2018

She Believes She Can Fly

There is no doubt about it, my girls....especially Lily....were made to swim.  They love the water and since we live on the surface of the sun, I think they chose to fall in love wisely!


Summer swim team, although far more involved than I had originally planned, was amazing and such a fantastic experience.  Even though there is great structure and coaching, it still is really just for fun.  I think both girls really liked the social aspect of the time more than anything, and let me tell you....watching 5 year olds attempt the butterfly is downright entertaining!


The girls had a few swim meets over the summer and enjoyed getting their place ribbon with each meet.  It wasn't until the end of the Summer that Lily started to get the itch to actually "win."  Swimming has been just fun for so long and she experienced this cool switch from "hey this is fun" to "hey, I want to be BETTER!"  When she placed 4th in a heat she was sure she was going to win, I saw that look.......that one that inwardly says, "Man, had I just practiced and paid attention a little better I could have taken home blue."

So she and I had a great discussion about keeping it fun, but working hard.  If you want to be the best, girl, you gotta work!  So when Fall swim team started I reminded her.  Focus, determination, work, practice........I promise.....it will pay off.

For 6 weeks the girls went to swim team 2 times a week.  Evie was still very much in the fun zone and working on not getting lost in the pool while doing backstroke.  She loves the pool, but having to focus instead of play mermaids is simply not on her to do list.  I get it....she's 5.  I am just proud of her for showing up!




The Fall swim team has one big meet and we were all excited to see how all this was going to play out.

Bob was unfortunately out of town, and Evie came down with an ear infection, but God works in very big ways, and our dear friend Cheryl came to the meet to support the girls......and lets face it.....be my mother's angel.


Poor Evie tried to do it, and made it through the first freestyle heat.  She was feeling miserable and after being the last one out of the water came over to me and told me she was done for the evening.  Poor baby.






Lily on the other hand. Boy, the girl had a night! Both of the girls were extra excited when they discovered our friends, The Allens, were competing too!  Best buds right here!





Living in community is so much fun and it is amazing to connect at places you weren't even expecting to!

Lily's first heat was for freestyle, and this girl has been working HARD to improve in this stroke.  At the beginning of the Summer she had no idea how to side breathe and by the time Fall came around she was beginning to get the coordination.  She has been working hard, and I have noticed how much stronger she has gotten.

She was determined to prove to herself how much better she had gotten, and at the buzzer she took off.



She dominated the field and got to the end a full body length in front of everyone.  I was so excited for her and her smile and excitement was tangible.  "First Place, Lane 7".......

"Mommy, THAT'S ME!" Oh yes dear girl.  "I worked so hard, and look what I did!" 


The girl was on fire and her energy level went from happy to SO ECSTATIC WE CANT STOP GIGGLING!  She came again to play in the backstroke and after another hard fought race took home second place.  



The sun set quickly and Lily came up for the Butterfly.  This event is challenging, and she really only learned to do Butterfly this summer.  It is such a coordinated power stroke and frankly I was just excited that she wanted to compete!



Lily flew down the lane and I watched her dolphin kick her self with pride. She has come so far, and darn it, the kid is an EXCELLENT swimmer!


She and Erienne flew down side by side and took home the top two spots!  Well done girls. WELL DONE.

At this time of the evening, my Evie Bee had spiked her fever and was all done with swim team.  She really wanted to go home and didn't want to get in the water anymore.  I am SO grateful for Cheryl because Lily desperately wanted to finish the meet with the breast stroke.  I was so proud of her because its her weakest skill and Cheryl (a swim Mom herself) graciously said she would stay and take Lily home afterwards.  My village is amazing!


Lily had a great evening and finished the evening with a fourth place ribbon.  She came home a little disappointed and  with a lot of "I hate breast stroke." I stopped her right there and told her, "Lily, you just have new goals babe, and the only way you achieve them is by PRACTICING! You don't get to hate breast stroke, you get to embrace breast stroke!"

Lily got her first taste of true earned achievement and I think she believes she can fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment