Monday, July 2, 2018

Dueces Wild Triathon 2018

The Dueces......we LOVE this race.  Back in 2016, I registered to run this Olympic race last minute and fell in love with it right away.  This race is quite possibly my favorite one to do (well.....minus IRONMAN).  The best part is that once Bob ran it, he fell in love with it too, so its kind of become a staple in our Summer.


Whew......this year was a little wild getting to the start line.  We always register for this event a year in advance so when we actually get to the month we are always amazed at how busy we made literally every day around the race weekend.  This year was really exciting as we traveled to Canada, Florida, and home in the week leading up to the race.  We literally flew in from Florida on a Wednesday, drove up to the race on the Saturday, raced on Sunday, drove home that night, only to send Bob on a 4 day business trip back to Florida.  Yes....we are gluttons for punishment, but never let it be said that the Longmire's sit around!


With all the scheduling we didn't camp this year which was both wonderful and kind of sad.  Camping is half the fun!  We showed up to the start line and instantly got that race feeling! Neither Bob nor I could honestly say that we were trained for this race.  We both maintain a level of fit though that lets us go into these races less than race ready which is nice.

The AZ Tri  Club was out and proud this year and I was reminded again how cool it is to be a triathlete and run in these circles.  Ill say it again, I know some cool people!



The swim was heavenly.  I just love swimming in open water, and race day was no different.  The water was cool and invigorating and once I was in and moving, I settled into this perfect swimming place.  The bike course is probably the second big reason why we love this race.  It is spectacular and such a fun and semi challenging course.  This year was windy.....and hot.  Arizona is in a major drought and the temps this year are just rising and rising. The bike was hot....but was nothing compared to the run.....WOWZA.

By the time I pulled into transition and got my running legs moving, it was well into the high 80s.  Not ultimately so bad except for the fact that there was no cloud cover, the course had no shade, and we ran much of the race on pavement or concrete.  We just baked.....and baked.  After the first mile it was painfully clear to me that running the entire 10k was off the table. I just couldn't find that go forever rhythm.  I was struggling between nausea and shaky legs and practically begging anyone with water to just throw it on me.  Bummer.

At mile 3 Bob came running past me at his mile 5.  He looked strong, and I was simply overwhelmed with the reality that I still had 3 more arduous miles ahead of me in the heat.

Ill tell you, triathlons are like a therapist.  They reveal a lot about you.  You can learn so much about your strengths and weaknesses doing this sport we call tri.  

So there I was......wanting to quit.....having every negative thought in the book.......dehydrated tears streaming down my face........angry at myself for not training harder......angry for being angry.......wondering why I couldn't just enjoy the day as it was...........raw emotion.....

Then my team mate and friend Bob Norvelle came running up beside me.  He too was feeling the heat, and so we just started talking and walking and enjoying the miles for what they were.  We decided to stick with each other through the finish and together we ran walked those last 3 miles.  My frown turned upside down and I was humbled at the powerful impact of community, friendships, and relationships.  That is what these kind of events is about.


It was such a delight to spend the time with Bob and we ran into the finishing shoot strong and all smiles.  I love this race.


Even with the struggles I managed to pull out a Third place win in my age group.  Bob had an insanely tough group and even with his amazing time came in 9 out of 13 (man his age group is rough!)


The girls got to come up with me at the awards ceremony and I love that their picture just might make the paper up in Show Low!



I have to give an amazing shout out to this woman and friend right here! She is one of the most consistent and tough women to race against.  Last year she soundly beat me in the water and on the bike, but I managed to catch her on the run. Not this year.  She had me from moment one and she put in a solid, consistent, strong performance. I could not have been prouder of her accomplishment.


Once again The Dueces Wild Triathlon did not disappoint and we are looking forward to more events in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment