Tuesday, December 12, 2017

#BestiesWeekend

Friendship is a truly beautiful thing.  One thing I find as I get older is that having deep friendships is a rare and wonderful treasure.  This woman and her kids are some of those gold nuggets in my treasure box of friendships.  I am so grateful for the way life put us together.  From high school to motherhood.

Since we moved, I have been fortunate enough to travel back to CO at least 4 times a year and have the privilege of baking in a visit every time I go.  They, however, have never been out to AZ so this year we decided to make it happen!  We scheduled our visit around a race, but life happened, and between a back issue for Sarah and very limited training for me we decided to can it in favor of just spending time together exploring our desert.  It was wonderful, needed, and an absolutely perfect reason to not muscle through a race neither of us was ready for.


We have mastered the art of the Sixie Selfie


The crew got in last Thursday and our 4 kids reconnected like they always do.  BFF status is just baked right into them and Caleb and Elijah are so fabulous with my strong willed, bold ladies.  I love those boys.....so do my girls.  Our first night was spent at home playing, chatting, having some wine and laying low.


Friday we woke up and Bob took the kids so Sarah and I could go for a run and out to breakfast!  I was so excited to introduce Sarah to Dawn and my breakfast crew ladies.  We had a great run up to the top of a little mountain, caught the view, and then enjoyed a great breakfast.  Bob built forts, buried them up to their ears at the park, introduced them to "the shelf" and did his usual Bob shenanigans.



Our afternoon found us at the AZ Science Center.  We walked around the center for a couple of hours and managed to get into every room on every floor.  The kids had a blast running through all of the exhibits and Sarah  and I just chatted and played.  It was wonderful and a great way to spend the day!



Friday night Bob took the kids out for ice cream while Sarah and I snuck away again for an evening of conversation and wine at my favorite local bistro.  What a great evening.  Thanks Bob for wrestling (and burying again) 4 kids!

Saturday was quite possibly my favorite day of their visit.  We began the day with yoga.  All 6 of us enjoyed an hour of yoga while Bob headed to the gym for weights.  After our class we rendezvoused at home to regroup and then head to the Usery Mountains for some hiking!


With all 4 kids in tow plus our new puppy (more on her later) we decided to take on the 3 mile intense hike up to the wind Caves!  I knew it was going to be a challenging hike, but Sarah and I also knew that our kids were totally cut out for it.  Not one of them disappointed.  They were all amazing little hikers.







It was steep and challenging, but everyone made it to the top and we all celebrated with snacks, water and a shade break.  It was so much fun to all work together.  Our big kids totally rocked it and beat everyone else up.  Our littles managed with only stabilizing help.  They were incredible!



I am beyond proud of this chick.  It was a BIG hike for her little legs and she did it.  We all made it down in one piece and home with a bunch of fun and empowering memories.  Sarah and I told each other later how awesome it is to have friends that do life the same way......kids in tow and everything.

The next day was their final day, and Bob was gracious enough to let me and Sarah sneak off for a 7 mile trail run with only the pup in addition.  It was a WONDERFUL 1.5 hours and I was so glad to be able to show Sarah a small portion of the desert I love so much.  Bob took all of the kids on a nature walk and they brought home a generous selection of "special rocks."  One thing is for sure, with Bob you will either talk science or talk space.  The kids got a fabulous lesson on granite, quartz and a host of other geologic finds.  The boys went home with a little more weight in their bags.


We said goodbye to each other with filled cups and happy hearts.  I am so grateful for her, and for the friendship we have built.  Here's to many more years of adventuring, wine-ing, picture-ing, racing and doing our bestie thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment