Thursday, September 21, 2017

A Bathroom in Progress

 Goodness its been quite a month and its only the 21st!  I should know by now to expect busy Falls, but every year it takes me by surprise and every year I find myself shocked when nearly all of our weekends are filled up until Christmas.  And lets face it.....we didn't exactly have a relaxing Summer!

My photography business is ramping up which is AWESOME and I love it.  That coupled with other work items, being an involved and consistent parent, actually feeding my family, working on a marriage, attempting to have friends and training for races........well.......whew its a busy Fall.

In true Longmire fashion all of the above was only peanuts so we decided to remodel the girls bathroom too.  HA......seriously, when I write it all out I have to giggle, we are funny.  We went all in and demoed our bathroom.  When we go....we go big.



When we bought our house we knew that there was a lot of work ahead of us.  Given the age of the home and the quality of the fixtures, remodeling was gonna be in order all throughout our space.  The girls bathroom has been high on the priority list following the floors.  Over the past year several of the fixtures have broken making the remodel even more important so we decided to go for it.



One thing is for certain, we are GOOD at wrecking our house.  


I loved the blue color and the FROZEN theme I initially went with, but with the new fixtures I felt it was time to literally Let it Go and move onto a sophisticated Non-Disney bathroom.  So I painted the space to match the rest of our house and I love how bright it made it!




Bob and I are nothing, if not frugal, so we have been able to remodel this bathroom with very little cost overall and we have overhauled everything.  We were very fortunate that the previous owner had built a useless counter space in the hallway and we were able to re purpose the granite counter top for this bathroom.  It fits perfectly and Bob was able to  grind the edges and fit it on the existing cabinets.  After a coat of paint on the cabinets and a shined up counter the bathroom is already looking so much nicer!  We then took the light fixtures from our master bathroom (cause that remodel is next) and instantly the classy side started showing.



Bob got our travertine floors laid the other night and our new toilet installed.  We were rocking this project to completion when we noticed some strange warping happening in our office flooring.  Upon careful inspection we noticed that the problem was systemic and that there was a significant amount of water under our flooring.  OH NO!


Bob instantly made the call to tear out our floor, open up our wall and find the root of the problem.  So 2 hours later he discovered a leak in a pipe all the way in the attic.  The leak had been active for about 2 weeks and had been consistent enough to pool under our flooring ruining most of it.  Oh man, when it rains it pours.  

So, our bathroom is now stalled for a little bit while we repair the damage to some old pipes and ensure that we don't have any future leaks.  I am so glad that I married such a handy guy who LOVES fixing problems and who LOVES to remodel.  I also love that he is a guy who is not afraid to cut holes in walls.  I kept hoping we could just imagine the problem away.  The guy has no fear....after all, he can fix it.......I on the other hand had to shut my eyes and walk out of the room while he took a saw to our walls.


It's this kind of stuff that makes for good memories and a quality life story.  Life is fraught with unexpected stuff and once the initial freak out happens, you sit back, smile and add another hiccup into the story.......

Honey....remember that one time we remodeled the girls bathroom........ 

Here's hoping we get the final product soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment