Friday, January 20, 2017

Journey to IRONMAN: For Dawn

2 months.  Its been exactly 2 months since IRONMAN and YES, I am still talking about it.  I have spent these 2 months selfishly reveling in every part of my success.  I am an IRONMAN.  I am a part of the club.  I am a rookie no longer. It feels so good.

In all of the post IRONMAN blogs I have done many people have been thanked, but I have intentionally left my thank yous quiet for one really BIG person, Dawn.



My coach, my mentor, my friend.  I waited these 2 months to write this blog for two really big reasons. 1. I have much to say and needed to sort it all out. and 2. She deserved her own space.  As part of my success, but separated from the huge collection of thanks I gave.

So Dawn, this is your moment.

Thank you isn't verbose enough to even touch last year.  Words frankly will never be enough. While I am going to make an attempt to put into words my gratitude it really will simply fall short.  My only hope is that all last year, every day, every week of completed workouts and consistently trusting your judgment and coaching expressed gratitude. I hope that I was a swimming, biking and running thank you.






I will never forget January, 1, 2016, the day I really met you.  It was a 3 hour bike ride and I remember leaving on that bike ride praying I would be able to keep up with the powerhouse known as "Dawn Brooks."  I remember when you told me out on the Bush HWY that I was a "strong cyclist." What a compliment.  Maybe I could actually do this IRONMAN thing I had just signed up to do. Maybe......but I needed help, and you saw the need even before I did.  That day started our coaching relationship, that day changed my life forever.


You see, IRONMAN was kind of a bucket list, just finish kind of a race for me.  I hoped I would love it but knew it was going to be HARD.  I never EVER dreamed that I would find my athletic calling.  Never did I dream I would be as strong as I am.  Never did I dream I would be sitting here saying to you:

Because of you I believe I can go to Kona.  Because of you, I believe I can qualify for Boston.

You have helped me open doors and understand abilities I denied myself claiming the "impossible."  Because of you I know I AM Possible.  I know I am able.  I KNOW.

Because of you.

That's a big mark to leave on a life..



Thank you for seeing in me what I couldn't see in myself.  Thank you for asking more than what I thought I could give.  Thank you for not accepting mediocrity and for demanding I TRI harder.  Thank you for teaching me that "just finishing" does not mean you can't finish in the top percentage of your age group.  Thank you for teaching me that greatness does not come overnight, but it will come. Through a relentless belief that you can, consistent training, proper planning and trusting the process.  There is no limit.  You just have to decide how hard you want to work.  Thank you for teaching me to look bigger, dream bigger, sleep more, give more, go slower, race faster and find that place deep within that knows without doubt, I AM.  Thank you for teaching.  Thank you Coach......for coaching.  I am forever in your debt.




I am beyond happy to share my success with you because you, dear friend, earned it too.  Thank you for your unwavering commitment to bettering me and bettering yourself as a coach.

Which also brings me to RACELAB.  RACELAB coaching does indeed help you "get there faster,"  The entire RACELAB way creates excellence, camaraderie and an unwavering focus on the pursuit of greatness.





I am grateful, Dawn, that you introduced me to RACELAB and invited me into a coaching environment that helped me indeed get there faster.  I am excited and proud to be a part of the RACELAB family and look forward to improving myself.  It is through you, and AZ TRI CLUB and the people of RACELAB that I have found my place.



Thank you Dawn, for everything.  You and I have a lot of work ahead of us, and yet I for one am so peacefully excited knowing that whats ahead is SO VERY POSSIBLE.

1 comment: