Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Family Holiday 2016: Animal Kingdom

For our last full day of vacation, we soaked up the sun and animals at Disney's Animal Kingdom Park.  I LOVE the Animal Kingdom and knew that my girls would love it too.  We got there bright and early so that we could see the gorgeous parrots make their rounds over the entering guests.  It really is a sight to behold when you have 8 gorgeous, colorful birds swooping down over you close enough to touch.  What a sight.




This day was also my favorite because we found a Starbucks.....with no line.......in the park.  AMAZING!!!! We grabbed a quick breakfast and a good dose of coffee.  It started the morning off just right AND in the process of breakfast, Lily lost her 3rd tooth!  Lucky day!


Our first stop of the day was the Kilimanjaro Safaris.  This remains one of the highlights of every Animal Kingdom visit I take.  There are animals everywhere and sometimes you can even get a giraffe to come right next to the truck.  With so much to see, the girls bounced from lap to lap and side to side.  It was so much fun to see all of the African animals.




Following our Safari, Bob and I had a mini date up (and down) Expedition Everest while Grandma and Grandpa explored some of the animal exhibits with the girls.


Lily and Evie met some Jungle Book favs........


....and experienced social grooming.


For lunch, we all got to go to the world of the Rainforest cafe.  It is such an immersive place and a great dining experience.  It fit right into our day and girls enjoyed it immensely.



Our last big adventure of the afternoon was 2 fold.  1, to ride the Kali River Rapids and 2, to see the Festival of the Lion King.  We all got in line for the River Rapids and suspected that we were all going to get wet. 

We ended up in a 12 person boat with just the 6 of us and instead of spreading out over the boat we all sat on one side (I blame the Disney "guide").  SO............we successfully all got soaked.  Poor Evie and I got completely drenched when a near tidal wave managed to pour over us.  We all had a blast and found ourselves laughing at the notion that we "might not get that wet."


Miss Evie spent the 10 minutes following the ride yelling, "I'm SOOOOOAKED" to anyone who would listen.  I could not stop smiling.


After our shower, we all put our jackets on and snuggled together for the air-conditioned stage of the Lion King Festival.  This show too remains a personal favorite.  It's so wild and mesmerizing and grand and beautiful.  I especially love to watch the dancers dressed as parrots.  They literally get to fly over the audience.  I would so do that.  

We left the Animal Kingdom before the evening came and headed to our digs for the night, the Aimal Kingdom Lodge.  This was such a treat.  The Lodge is incredible in every sense of the word.  You are surrounded by animal preserves and giraffes walk right outside the rooms.  Everything about it was incredible and I found myself wanting to soak it all in rather than have my camera in front of my face.  It was breathtaking and an experience I will not soon forget, plus, we had bunk beds in our room!

No comments:

Post a Comment