Monday, January 9, 2017

Family Holiday 2016: The Kennedy Space Center

We didn't sleep long before we were at it again.  Our first morning following Magic Kingdom we woke up and took a nice walk around the Coronado Spring's resort.  Just me, Grandma and Lily.  We found the pool with the big Mayan slide and discovered this beautiful throne and tree on our way to breakfast.


Miss Fancy pants thought the throne was placed there just for her and while Grandma played right into it, me, the Queen Mother squished my tushy right up there with her.  I don't embarrass her yet, but her face says it all. 


We decided we just had to spend an hour or so at the pool and the girls were ecstatic to do it.  Remember that big Mayan slide?  Well Lily Grace was a non-stoppable force riding the slide over and over and over again.  Once Evie found her swimming legs and arms she too tackled the big slide and giggled herself up and down it numerous times.  Grandma and I stayed up slide for slide with Lily until she started running to beat us.  We surrendered to the fact that kids with boundless energy and determination trump Mommies and Grandmas just wanting to play.  We had a blast and could have stayed there all day despite it being a little on the chilly side (hallelujah for the hot tub!)


After getting our squirmies out in the pool we buckled in and headed down to Cape Canaveral for the Kennedy Space Center.  

My husband was like a kid in a candy shop.  This day, this experience, this park had Bob Longmire's name written all over it and he was excited.  I honestly didn't know what to expect at KSC.  I am not a huge space and rocket buff like my other half so I approached the day with no expectations and simply to enjoy time with family doing something we don't get to do.


I must admit.....the Space Center was AMAZING.  It was surprising and mesmerizing and fascinating.




Bob could probably write a novel on this one day of vacation, with everything he saw and what it meant and why it is significant, but I can only tell you what impacted me the most.  

This.........


I have seen these rocket boosters and that orange fuel tank many times throughout my life.  It's always been on TV, in documentaries, or in movies.  It's what carried the space shuttles into space.  Seeing it in real life, up close, gave me a sense of grandeur that I cannot quite put into words.  Little did I know that when NASA retired the space shuttles, that upon entering this building I was going to meet one.  After a fascinating movie and a dramatic introduction the great space ship Atlantis was unveiled and we had the lifetime experience of nearly touching one of the famed space shuttles that carried so many brave souls into the darkness.  It was humbling, it was inspiring, it was a once in a lifetime moment.  I still get goosebumps from it.   The pictures don't do it justice......not by a landslide, but there she is. Atlantis.




The girls had a blast playing in the mockup cockpit and flying down the huge slide mimicking the space shuttle's final glide into landing back on earth.  They practiced their landings numerous times and were fascinated with all of the exhibits showing how astronauts live in space.  Lily's number one question?  How do they go potty?  Well....they had an exhibit for that which answered her question beautifully.  



Towards the end of our stay Evie had an "I don't want to leave moment," and attempted a sit-in at the Space Center.  I was so happy to see her so enthralled.  I know Bob hopes his girls will grow up to love space and if the future is anything like the Space Center I think we are headed in the right direction.


The Kennedy Space Center was incredible and so interactive and fun.  They had a mock-up of the ISS and the kids (and big kids) got to climb through.  I was so happy to see loads of women staff engaging with kids and fostering equality amongst the STEM field.  Lily left and told us unequivocally, "Mommy, we need more girl astronauts."  Go kid, GO!


As we came near to the exit, I noticed a small area and meandered into it.  It had pictures of astronauts and several personal items and remarks about them.  It wasn't until I reached the back wall and came face to face with a broken piece of the shuttle Challenger that I realized what I had walked into.  It was a memorial.  All of those astronauts hanging up on the wall had given their lives in pursuit of a belief that scary, risky things are worth doing.  I found a well of tears pooling in my eyes.  I remember stories of Challenger.  I have seen the videos and heard tales of the people, the teacher, the astronauts.   To come face to face with a small, charred part of the shuttle made it really........REAL.  I felt humbled and fearful.  What if my girls want to be an astronaut? What if their dreams demand their lives, what if, what if..........I had to get out of there.

As I left I saw this plastered on the wall and felt instantly awash in a strange, excited peace.


President Reagan was right and I stood there reminded of how brave my girls already are.  With bravery comes risk.  Great risk. Bravery takes a willingness to risk everything to make a change.  The future is theirs and with their bravery, they will be the world changers I have empowered them to be.  With their bravery, they may one day be univers changers. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pool is definitely the reason I would return to the Coronado Springs Resort- we need to play ping pong poolside someday in the near future. Actually, this resort was head over heels to the Port Orleans resort! Grandma and Grandpa also enjoyed the Atlantis exhibit-all the information on the top level kept us there for a long time- we missed out on all the interactive exhibits with the kids :(. That is until Lily talked me into sliding down the slide. I wanted to post a picture of the slide, but it wouldn't publish in this forum.

    ReplyDelete