Sunday, October 23, 2016

Journey to IRONMAN: 4 Weeks: The Swim

Well folks, in case you are already tired of this blog being overtaken by Journey to IRONMAN posts, beware.....ITS ABOUT TO GET EVEN WORSE :)  4 weeks from today I do this thing.  I'm soaking up every second of every day and want to remember everything.  Its also time to start talking about the actual race.  When the day comes I want you to feel every mile with me.


But I digress.......IRONMAN is all about conquering fears.  This week I conquered 2.  I rode my longest bike ride to date 7:20.  I have been nervous about it ever since Coach said I would have to do it one day (as in a conversation 8 months ago).  I did it.  I also ate an entire pint of Haggen Daas Ice Cream by myself in one sitting this week.  I have never done either of those.  It was a good week.......

Okay....back to the swim.  The swim of the IRONMAN takes place in Tempe Town Lake which is right in the heart of Tempe off the highway and right by ASU.  It is an incredibly popular spot and highly populated.  Its basically right in the heart of town.  So.....anyone local, unless you are coming to the race, just don't go to Tempe on November 20th.

Tempe Town Lake is a man-made lake that has had its own fair share of history including a dam breaking and the entire thing completely draining.  They have repaired the dam and refilled, but not without trouble.  About 8 months ago they had to fill it with billions (yes with a B) of minnows to help combat a certain algae and parasites.  Who knows the creatures that live in the depths.  Whatever, I can outswim them.  Its a cloudy lake and not very pretty, but its my IRONMAN swim and I cannot wait to jump into its waters.


The swim is a rolling start this year.  Think of it like a marathon start.  You line up based on your predicted swim time and when the gun goes off, your specific time starts when you cross over the timing mat. You all just shuffle in a line down to the water and when you get to the edge, you jump in and you go.   Its quite different than a mass start which has everyone in the water and when the gun goes off all 2800 of you start at once.



I won't lie, its chaos.  You get hit and kicked, some get their goggles knocked off.  You swallow water and get shoved under.  If you are like me you just start punching back.  I deserve to be there just as much as you do buddy!


The swim is a 1 loop course that runs down from Mill Avenue to Scottsdale road where it takes a left turn and heads on a rectangular course back to the start.  I love that it is only 1 large loop.  That helps tremendously.

My strategy is simple really.  Stay chill, focus on long strokes, remember who you are.......and just go for a swim.  The race cannot be won or PR's hit in the water, but it most certainly can be lost.  The water, although the easiest on the body, is the most fear inducing, stress provoking, energy sucking event.

I have trained well and feel confident in my swimming.

I would love to come out of the water around 1:20.

No matter what....it will be a good start to a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment