Monday, June 1, 2015

Journey to IRONMAN: 2 Weeks: The Run

I realize that the moment you read this blog there is going to be a small part of you that goes, "really, Bethany, you are going to spend an entire blog talking about the run? You do that all the time."  It's true.  Out of all the events I will do in 2 weeks, the run is literally barely on my radar for worry.  I run....its what I do.  I ran miles and miles and MILES on newborn-baby-Mom amounts of sleep.  I can run 13 miles without even thinking.  Even tired I have complete confidence in my ability to run 13.1 miles.  Again.....its what I do.

So no I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it this week and instead spend the bulk of my blog talking about my 4500 meter open water swim...........but more on that in a sec!

In 2 weeks after I swim for 45 minutes and then pedal Lady Trek for 56 miles, I will hop off and begin my final leg to 70.3 glory.  The run at Boulder is challenging for a few reasons.  1. It is an out and back course that you have to do 2 times and 2.  It is on changing surfaces.  Normally these things wouldn't be too big of a deal, but you literally have to run past the finish and go out 7 more miles.  It's a little bit of a mind punch.  Most of the run is done on crushed trail so it should be fairly gentle on the legs.  As a barefoot runner though, I am always mindful of the road surface and pray that it truly is REALLY crushed gravel and not rocks.



Every time I look at these maps I smile.  Man, once I get here.....I have got it!  All I have to do is run to the finish line!  It's hard to believe it is 12 days away.  Bring it.....I'm ready.

So back to my 4500 meters..... 

Last Wednesday I had ZERO intention of swimming 4500 meters anywhere, let alone in open water.   But alas, I am also an endurance athlete and when I got on my Tri Club website and saw an AZ Open Water event I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to race.  I sit here laughing because I could have swam in the 1500 meter event or I could have even swam  in the 3000 meter event.  Both are respectable, both would have been challenging.  No, not Bethany....at the encouragement of my husband I just had to go all in with the 4500 meter distance.  In the words of the late and great Curtis Powelson, "Go BIG....or Go Home!"  To better understand the scope, 4500 meters is 3 miles.........in open water.


Since committing to IRONMAN and diving into (yes pun intended) swimming, even with all of the hours spend in a pool I have never swam more than 2 miles.  I have done that once and it was in a pool.  So what would convince me to sign up for such a long event in open lake water?  I just knew I could.

We took the whole family out to the lake last Saturday morning.  It was perfect temperature and the water was a cool 76 degrees.  I warmed up in my wetsuit and then decided it was just going to be too warm for the amount of time and effort I would be giving.





The course was big and remember,  you cannot see a thing in that water.  Its murky and green.  Add to that occasional seaweed and a rogue shadow from a tree and you have yourself a panic attack waiting to happen.  It's hard out there in the open water.  You can't stand up or go to the edge when you need a break or have a cramp.  You can't see where you are under water so you are constantly sighting and trying to find the air filled bouys marking the course.  It's challenging.

The event was small and there were only about 30 people racing the 4500.  What I didn't know was that the people that raced were college and elite type swimmers trying to set time goals for some championship open water series they were a part of.  So when I literally got left by the entire group in the first 500 yards I knew I was out of my league. To complete the course we had to swim 4 laps around the big course followed by one 1/2 lap to finish.  In water......distance is far.  Really far.  

As I watched swimmer after swimmer come up behind me and pass me with little effort I started doing the math and realizing that there was a good chance that my last 1500 or so meters was going to literally be by myself with the occasional safety boat to keep me company.  By my second lap I had a moment of panic.  I don't mind open water when I am with a group.  I REALLY mind open water when I feel alone in it.  Oh the heebies and jeebies are crawling up my spine.  As I started to panic amidst my stroke I told myself "Bethany, that problem is 40 minute from now Bethany's problem.  Just keep swimming in the moment. Stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe."  I started to pray...... "Okay Lord, I can do this....I know I can, but if you could please make someone be slower than me I would be forever grateful!"


The final lap started and the swimmers that had busied the water had all completed their events and were standing on shore.  I wasn't tempted to cut my race short, but I did have that fear.  Low and behold an older gentleman comes up behind me doing the Butterfly (yes, he BUTTERFLIED the entire 4500).  Turns out we had been swimming the exact pace just about 30 feet apart from each other the whole time.  He caught up and I just hung with him.  Together we took on the lonely, dark side of the course, turned the corner and headed for home.  Thank you Jesus.  I was renewed and poured the coal to my final 500 overtaking my partner and the 1 guy in front of me.  I came in 3rd from the last at a finish time of 1:52.


It was big, but SO MUCH FUN.  I loved it.  I loved the challenge and I love that my girls were there to see me do it.  I really love that I came in next to last showing them that sometimes strength isn't about winning or even being one of the fastest.  Instead, its about being strong in mind and knowing what you are capable of.  It's about overcoming the fear that says you can't and embracing the guts that tells you you can.


1 comment:

  1. I like this post. Congrats Bethany! Just wanted to wish you luck on your upcoming Ironman. Glad to see you guys are doing well in AZ also! - Rikka

    ReplyDelete