Thursday, January 15, 2015

Dopey Challenge 2015: Day 1

Its so hard to believe that after 9 months of waiting and anticipating, the Dopey Challenge has come and gone.  Man does time fly.  What a race, what an experience!  It was so much fun and literally the best races I have ever run.  Amazing.  I felt so strong and so happy.  Could have been because I was in the "happiest place on earth," but I really think it was because I was there doing what I love the most, RUNNING!


We left amidst the snow falling last Wednesday morning.  Our flight was delayed, but we managed to find a quiet part of the airport to let the kids run around.




The flight was great.  Lily watched her movies and snacked.  Evie was busy for a while and then completely crashed in Memaw's arms for the last hour or so of the flight.  Our evening in Orlando was packed with making a mad dash through the Expo for our race packet and going to sleep for the first of 4 races set to begin the next day.  Bob and I really set ourselves up for success by sleep training for the week prior to our departure.  We spent 8 days going to bed around 7:30 to 8PM and then getting up at 4AM.  All of the races started before 6AM Eastern time.  So our races STARTED at around 3:30 to 4 our time.  Which didn't include drive time and race prep time.  I am so thankful that we did it because it made a huge difference for us!


Bob and I were up and out of the condo Thursday morning around 4:30AM ready to go.



Florida was just experiencing the end of the polar vortex impacting the country and it was COLD.....and windy.  I had 4 layers on and had to work to not let the cold get in my head.  Man it was chilly.  We got to the start line and into our corral.  Picture March of the Penguins when everyone huddles together.  You all take your turn on the outside until more runners come in and huddle around you.  Goodness it was cold.  We decided to run the 5k and 10k together so we started in Corral B and off we went.

The race was perfect.  Short, but perfect.  It was great to get the jitters out without having a major distance to cover.  As we ran around the back of Epcot and entered right by Mexico I felt giddy.  I love Disney World.


I have so many fond memories there.  It just makes my heart happy.  When they tell you that at Disney the miles just "Fly By," they aren't lying.  The distance covered in the parks is really free.  Oh it is just so much fun.

Bob and I came around the Epcot ball and cruised into the finish line.  I don't care how long your race is, getting that medal at the end is so exciting.  We put Pluto around our necks and went as quick as we could back to our car.  Brrrr!




We of course got back around 7:30 and woke everyone up.....except my children, they were up and rolling already.


We all got ourselves ready and headed for a day in the Animal Kingdom.  We rode the Expedition Everest, took a Safari, watched the Festival of the Lion King and the Flights of Wonder Show (hands down one of the best bird shows around).  The girls had a blast and we enjoyed the time with Great Grandma and the rest of the crew.





We turned in early for our next race, the 10k.

No comments:

Post a Comment