Monday, March 24, 2014

Journey to IRONMAN: Date Ride

So I have faithfully begun my cycling journey.  I am determined to become a bicyclist and I am super grateful that Bob is an avid cyclist.  Since getting my new bike, Lady Trek, I have been a bundle of excitement and trepidation.  I didn't really grow up on a bike.  To say that cycling makes me uncomfortable would be an understatement.  While many people would fear the swimming or running portion of a triathlon, I have literally dreaded the cycling part.


Well the best way to get over a fear is to just do it, so we fully outfitted me with a bike and have been gently introducing me to the riding world.  Being the ambitious sort, I decided to have clip in pedals installed too.  I would rather learn from the get go about having to de-clip.  At this point I am 0 for 2 in the tipping over department.  The first time was at the end of our first ride right at a busy intersection.  Gracefully I unclipped my left foot and just leaned the wrong way.  Yeah, it was nothing but clumsy.  The next time was exactly the same only this time it was at a far less busy place.  As Bob said, what I did wasn't manly enough to be called falling.   Nope it was super clumsiness.  The end.


After two rides I've conquered about 40 total miles.  Sure, its been slow, but I have done it and I must say....I love it.  What a great addition to our lifestyle.

I can now dream of the day I complete my IRONMAN.  My dream, the impossible dream, is slowly becoming a reality.  I am going to do it!


I love that I have a man in my life that is not only as crazy as me, but one who is a source of strength when I am unsure of myself.  Bob and I make a great team and I love that when he says "honey you wanna go for a bike ride with me?"  I can honestly say, "oh yeah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment