Thursday, September 23, 2010

We have a baby room!


Do you see that widget on the side of the blog? I have 46 days until my due date and cannot believe how fast the time is going! Over the past couple of weeks I have been working like crazy to get our baby girl's room all set up and looking cute. I have also worked on learning how to install our car seat.

The car seat went in great, Bob stood in it and I pulled and we locked it in.



Afterwards, I took it over to the fire department to have it checked out. Without hesitation the police officer politely informed me that we had installed it completely wrong. We made it way too complicated. So he reinstalled it and we have our car seat. It looks so cute in our car.


Finishing Lily's room has been a lot of fun because I have been working on saving money by making my own stuff and using my creativity. I started the decoration with the letters for her name. I could not believe how expensive cute painted wooden letters were! So I went to Michaels and spent a good hour trying to find the cheapest way to do her letters. I painted the letters in the purple paint and then added all of the flowers (which are scrapbooking materials), tied some bows on them and here they are. Thank goodness her name is short!



After my foray into redoing lampshades I decided to tackle a lamp design for Lily. I thought it would be nice to have a lamp by the rocker so that I can read while feeding and one day read books to our baby girl.


My next project was the bedskirt. I found it kind of tricky because of how the base of the crib attaches. It took me a couple of days to finish the project, but it turned out so cute. I really love it because I have got so many awesome quilts that have either purple, pink or green in them. This should tie everything together really well.


Bob and I bought one of those IKEA paper lamps hoping that it would be a nice mellow light during the middle of the night feedings. Holy Moley, those lights are bright. So I decided to take some of the left over material and ribbon from the bedskirt and cover the outside. Even after all of this cuteness, it is still pretty bright, so we will see how it works.


My next project was finding cute shelves to hang above the changing table and dresser. Target provided these awesome black shelves. Okay so the instructions were so simple and the first shelf went up perfectly.



The bottom shelf, however, would not go on the wall. I got so frustrated I think I almost broke it. Thankfully, I stopped and took a break before that happened. After a 10 minute hiatus I came back and got the silly thing on the wall. I want to put pictures of her and our new little family in all of those frames.

I would have had this blog done a couple of weeks ago but I had to find a nightstand to put beside the rocker for the lamp to sit on. I finally found this nightstand through Walmart.com and had to have it shipped. Trying to save some money I shipped it site to store. It arrived this past week while Bob had to be in Las Vegas for work. I didn't think anything of it until I got it in the shopping cart and was attempting to put it in the car. The box with all of the parts was so heavy. Here I am standing at the car going "I did not think this one through." I did manage to use the leverage of the cart to push it into the back of the car, but there was no way I was going to get it into the apartment. On the way home I had this brilliant idea to get the nightstand upstairs. Even though I can't lift the whole box, I can take it up part by part. So I opened the box and managed to get all of the parts and pieces up the stairs within a day. The next day I built it and here it is!


Surprisingly, we still have room for the spare bedroom and this new bookshelf.



All in all I love how her room turned out. It may not be what I had originally planned but I am happy and blessed at the outcome. Bob and I can't wait to see her in her room.

3 comments:

  1. So cute, Bethany! I wish I had a little of your creativity! Don't worry about the car seat, 90% of people install incorrectly...good job on the fire department. Kind of nice to have your guest room combined with the nursary, my guess is you will spend considerable time nursing laying down for the first few months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling room for your little Lily. You did such a great job of decorating. Love it.

    ReplyDelete