Sunday, July 11, 2021

Mishaps and Mayhem

 No adventure would be complete without the mishaps and mayhem that happens beyond the instagram photos.  This adventure was no different and here's hoping I can get through this post without falling into a fit of giggles.  One word.

Chili

No wait......three words.  

Chili and Car.

Honestly the whole thing was a comedy of errors and I am seriously so grateful that at the end of the day Bob and I value our girls, lessons, and laughter far above our things.   Another thing I am grateful for is that we don't have a fancy Cybertruck yet.   

One of the must dos when we are on our way up the mountain is stop at the Wendy's in  Payson.  Don't know why it has become "The Thing," but I don't have room to judge because I like to stop at the Dutch Brothers.  So that's where we went at the start of our Flagstaff trip.

In an effort to get to our first of many stops we decided to eat and run.  Usually not a problem.  We have got the system down and to Lily's credit, she has not once ever spilled chili.

So we pull out of the restaurant and we had to come to an abrupt stop at a light to which all of a sudden Lily starts squealing, "It's hot, It's hot. ITS HOT."  I am in the passenger seat in front of her and completely unable to solve any problems.  Bob, looks back to see chili in Lily's distressed lap and can only thing about the woman at McDonalds years ago who had to have skin grafts from hot coffee in her lap.  In a split second he reaches back, cups the chili and flings it in a spray pattern off her lap.

At this point it was imperative that we pull over and solve all of the problems.  I couldn't see the damage and could only prep myself for what I was going to see.  We pulled over at the Tesla charging station there in Payson and I got out to survey the damage.

There are moments in this life that really, really matter.  There are moments in this life that your children will remember and laugh at or remember and feel traumatized.  In the moment its really hard to look past the mess and remember what actually matters.  And lets face it, it isn't the car.

I mean we had chili on the door, the seat, the back of my seat, the floor.  We even had chunks on the floor in the front of the car.  Lily was covered and had worn a completely all white workout outfit.  When I actually took in all of the damage I burst out laughing.....and then we all did.  It was so funny.  

We didn't just spill chili, we went for the gold medal experience.  

We got it all cleaned up an hopped back in the car.  Now we giggle.....remember when Lily spilled the chili in the car and Daddy flung it all over? 

Our mishaps weren't over though.  Later that night we pulled into the cabin and I went to the cooler to find our frozen pizza.  I had put it at the bottom hoping that it would stay mostly frozen.  The pizza fully covered in plastic was not only not frozen but water logged.  Feeling pretty confident that all it needed was an oven, I found an aerated baking dish and put the soggy mess on it.

Of course that didn't work, and the pizza concreted itself to the pan.  We scraped it off, had another laugh, and then Bob went at picked up Little Ceasars.

I am always telling my girls that some of the best memories are made when things don't go exactly how you planned....and that attitude is everything.  We will always laugh about this trip and the fun and mayhem we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment