Saturday, May 21, 2016

Journey to IRONMAN: That Quote

Well, its official, 6 more months until that IRONMAN start line.  I'm a day late this time.....I remembered last night when I was in bed.....nearly asleep.  I think I chose wisely. :)  The months are just ebbing away in a constant routine of Sleep, Train, Eat, Mother, Wife, Eat, Sleep.

This month I wanted to do a little follow up on everything that has been going on with my diet, Heart Rate training and IRONMAN prep.  For the past few weeks this quote has been ruminating in my mind......


I have changed my whole perspective on food, fueling and training.  I am quite literally doing things I have never done before and finding a happier, wholer, stronger me.  So.....how's it going?

4 weeks ago I made some big changes, 1.  I cut out 80% of my carbs, all of my grains (except Quinoa) and 95% of processed sugar (I still love me some super dark chocolate). 2. I dramatically increased the amount of good fat I eat (Ever had bulletproof coffee? You should!) with coconut oil, grass fed butter, avocados, eggs, nuts and nut butters and 3.  Taken all the intensity out of my workouts.  For the first 2 weeks I literally was running (if you can call it that) at about a 12 minute pace.  Riding a bike has been slow and steady.  It all has been slow and steady.

I won't lie, for the first 2 weeks I struggled a lot.  It has been very difficult to feel like I am "loosing" my speed and fitness.  I was frustrated and discouraged. I am so very thankful for my coach Dawn and my dear friend Bridgit.  Dawn has been the most incredible source of encouragement and belief.  I called her during those weeks and amidst my struggles and unease her resounding confidence in me was unwavering, "Bethany, calm down, you are going to have an amazing IRONMAN.  You are a strong athlete. I have no doubts in your ability.  This is only gonna make you stronger."  That confidence and Bridgit's nutrition advice and love of Costco has been the motivation and catalyst for digging in and doing this!

And its working......BIG TIME

I can't even begin to tell you how amazing I feel.  I now track my macros (ie proportion of carbs, fat and protein).  I work to cycle my carb intake between 50g and 175g daily.  I can easily finish a 3 hour bike ride on no fuel (body is learning how to burn fat....eeee!)  and everything about my body feels AMAZING. I never thought I would give up bread, grains, sugar, lattes, pasta and my belief that I "need carbs," and feel so so SO good! I don't have cravings and I am never Hangry (so hungry I'm angry) and I just feel lighter and brighter.  


I am getting stronger too.  I have really noticed it in the water.  I used to jump in the pool or the lake and my heart rate would jump up very quickly.  I used to have a hard time getting my breath and breathing organized and settled.  Now I am cool as a cucumber and absolutely LOVE my swimming.  I feel confident, competent and like I could go forever.  My cycling and running has also seen dramatic improvement.  No, I'm still not fast, but I'm steady, consistent and able to go and go and go. 

I am doing things I have never done in pursuit of a dream.

I can....and I will 

No comments:

Post a Comment