Monday, October 18, 2010

Meet me at the Fair!


We have officially hit week 37 and the contractions are still coming! I am so uncomfortable right now! There is not a seated, lying or standing position that works at present and both Bob and I are just getting anxious and praying that things really get started sonner rather than later. In an effort to pass the time Bob and I decided that we just had to go to the North Carolina State Fair. We have heard that the Fair here is awesome and let me tell you, it did not disappoint.



We headed over on Saturday morning and found a front row parking spot that only cost us 7 dollars. Totally worth it to not have to walk. This pregnant lady is sloooooowin' down! Our new friends Grace and Sebron invited us to come and see them at the fair. They were both working in the livestock area. We thought it would be easy to find but the fairgrounds are enormous. Apparently, the fair is a HUGE thing here in NC. On our way to find them we walked past some of the coolest kiddie rides and food, food and more food. We started with some Kettle Corn and watched this little "ride."


Kids get in these blow up balls and roll around in the water. How fun. Of course Bob and I kept thinking, kids in an airtight plastic ball in water, boy, hope it doesn't spring a leak or they get them out before carbon monoxide takes over. For all of our worry, both Bob and I would have done it in a heartbeat!

Then Bob got some apple cobbler with ice cream, kind of a pre lunch snack,


and I started to notice that on all of the food signs was a plethora of fried items. Apparently, in the South when in doubt, FRY IT! Look at this, Fried PB and Bananna sandwiches. The most talked about food item was the Krispy Kreme Burger. Yep, you guessed it, a beef patty, sometimes with cheese, between two Krispy Kreme Donuts. Even if hamburgers sounded good this just makes them so gross. Seriously, I don't even want to guess at the calories in that food item!



Well we finally got connected with Grace and saw all sorts of cows, horses, pigs, chicks, sheep and goats. When we walked past the pigs there was a new mom with about 8 piglets. All of the piglets were falling all over each other to get to mom and all I could think of was "Praise the Lord there is only going to be one on me soon!"


Next we stopped for lunch and had a footlong hot dog. Probably the healthiest choice in the whole park!


We decided to share it just so that we had more room for other food.

The NC Fair is also a huge time for competition from fruit, vegetables and honey to sewing, baking, jewlery making, cake decorating, quilts and loads of other trades. So much fun! It made me want to go and live on a farm. Check out the size of this pumpkin and the watermelon. Holy Guacamole!



At this point I was getting tired and ready to head back towards the car. As we headed back we got a homemade Root Beer Float and a Carmel Apple. Don't judge! How many times do you get to go to the fair?


In case all that sugar wasn't bad enough, Bob just had to try the Fried Oreos.


Not kidding. They take oreo cookies, put batter on them and then deep fry them. No wonder obesity is an epidemic.

As we got to the entrance there was a guy demonstrating the SHAMWOW shammie cloth. Have you seen those? They are amazing! Well Bob and I fell hook line and sinker. We got 12 cloths for the price of 3, what a deal. Bob is firmly convinced that the shammies will be perfect for Baby puke. When we got home we dumped a whole glass of water on the floor just to see how they work.


Pretty cool! I don't really think it is going to work on Baby Puke, but I will keep my fingers crossed!

Awesome Experience!

3 comments:

  1. HI, Where was your bikini top Bethany? Looks like you had fun and eating is what a fair is all about. Just think of the fun Lily will have there next year! Love you lots and see you soon, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally wanted to go get my grandkids when I saw that "ball in the water" thing. Hadn't thought about the whole carbon monoxide problem, though. We go to the fair here every year and let me tell you, they fry everything at our fair too. We didn't get such fun pictures, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does your shirt say "new mom 2010"? You crack me up! So glad you guys had fun at the fair. I also was going to inform you that deep fried twinkies/oreos/you-name-it swept across the entire nation several years ago! Sad, very sad! But I have always wondered what fried oreos taste like!

    ReplyDelete