Tuesday, May 11, 2021

R2R2R: The Aftermath and Final Thoughts

Two and a half weeks later and I am just now gonna finish this thing!  Recovery is no joke.  



The aftermath of R2R2R was generally minor all things considered.  Neither Bob nor I did any major damage, but we had some pains.  I ended up with massive blisters on both my toes.  The one on my right foot ended up under the nail bed and hurt like the dickons until I pulled the toenail off last week (so fun!).  My arches still hurt and I still have had no desire to run.  


Because of compensation due to the blisters I gave myself a massive shin splint on my left shin.  I most likely popped a vessel too because the brusing went from 1 inch to my complete shin in 24 hours.  That's what happens when there is not follow through your foot!








The most noticeable thing about the recovery process is just how tired I am.  Even 2 weeks after the event the fatigue is no joke.  Turns out 50 miles is a long way.......and doubly tough in the Grand Canyon.

Bob has been tired too, and his poor ankle still remains limiting to him, but all in all he did amazing.  The best part was when we washed all of our GC clothes and realized how much dirt we had accumulated down there.  I mean....layers.



Here are my finishing thoughts on this experience:

1.  That was hard.  AMAZING and incredible and SO WORTH DOING, but it was hard.
2. Next time (yes I said it), less running long distances and more stairs, much more stairs, like all the stairs and 500 squats a day.
3. There is no experience like the Grand Canyon.
4. Bring more food.
5. You can do hard things.
6. You can ALWAYS move forward.  It may not be fast but its forward and that counts.
7. Practice hurdles more.
8. Bob and I are REALLY good together.
9. Your bucket list doesn't get done unless you do the stuff on it.
10. Life is really short, and there are so many things to see. Its time to start seeing them.

This experience was one I truly wasn't sure would ever happen.  As someone who does not want to be an ultramarathoner, I knew that it would be a special thing to do this.  I am deeply grateful for Bridgit who suggested it and convinced me that I could do this thing that was so very big.

That kind of experience changes you and moves you.  I still want to sit with it.  I am not ready for the next big anything, and am content to wake up every morning, drink my coffee and feel the success of the adventure.  Perhaps that's growth.

Here's to checking things off the list!  Now lets go to Scotland!

No comments:

Post a Comment