Friday, September 4, 2020

My Filters

Throughout all of this year I have been overwhelmed with the vehemence and anger that a pandemic and an election year has brought to the forefront. Let's face it, we all are not at our best. The division, divisiveness, and bitterness that plagued our country 4 years ago, that we swore never to do again, is back and its nasty, and dark, and amplified by the Coronavirus and so far from the Kingdom.  

I see it so clearly and am so utterly aware at how quickly we all have demonized people, institutions, families, communities, politicians, our family, and our neighbors.  This is for real guys, and we are all justifying the worst parts of our humanness under the perception of personal threat.  We demonize one to martyr the other, we villianize one group and bow down to the next.  We perpetuate falsities, and barter in the latest "have you heard."  We gain power from our "knowledge," and justification of our fear through the ones who tell us, "yeah, you ARE right."   We are afraid........and that dear friends is not the Kingdom call.

I will admit several months ago I was quickly falling deeper and deeper into the fear and anger hole, I still struggle sometimes. It was so overwhelming.  To not only deal with all of my own fears, insecurities, and frustrations, but to quite literally feel the worlds fear.......as an empath......it was all so so so much.

I realized really quickly that I needed to center my heart on Christs and filter all of the things through some serious biblical truths to keep myself from strapping myself down in the Pit of Despair. (Shameless Princess Bride reference).  The Bible is full of truths to hang your hat on, but I narrowed it down to 2 really big ones.

Number one......Jesus told us 2 rules for kingdom living.

1. Love the Lord your God with all you heart, soul, and strength.
2. Love your neighbor AS YOURSELF.

Second.......that if you are following those rules your life should yield fruit.  


This fruit is not only fruit of a spirit filled life, BUT also a checklist for what we allow to influence our hearts and minds.  In other words, these things should also be the checklist for what you allow your fingers to type, your mouth to say, your heart to hear, and your worldview to be REGARDLESS of living in a pandemic or a political year.  

So I started filtering EVERYTHING through these 2 filters.  Everything.  If I read something, or watch something, or hear something, I ask myself, "Does this make me more patient and kind?  Does it make me love deeper and more selflessly? Does it encourage me to have self control (or go on a tirade)?  Does this promote peace in my life and heart?  Does it promote kindness in my relationships?  

Does it follow the rules that Jesus gave me to love Him with my whole self?  Does this make me see and treat my neighbor (black, white, democrat, republican, mask wearer, mask hater, pro-life, pro-choice, Biden supporter, Trump supporter, liberal, conservative, Christian, atheist......MY NEIGHBOR) as I would treat myself? 

If it doesn't, I do not dabble in it.  I do not engage in it.  I do not forward, copy, share, paste, comment, like, or take it as truth.  If I feel threatened, or afraid, or worried, or like I need to claw for control, I run from it. 

Fear is the currency of the oppressed.....and we dear brother's and sisters have been set free to live out of the chains and into the spirit.  Take heart.


For you who are reading this who feel threatened.  Lay down that burden.  I love you.  You always have a place at my table.  No matter your walk in life, no matter who you vote for or if you wear a mask, you are not my enemy and I believe the communion table of the Lord is big enough for all of us. 

I have chosen to see the world now through very different lenses, and the world is not so dark and desolate.  I encourage you to begin to use these filters, and if you are not a Jesus follower, filtering everything you digest through the lens of self-control would be a great place to start.

Lets do better, because honestly we know better.  Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment