Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Journey to IRONMAN: 10 Months

Its January 20th today which means I have exactly 10 months until I attempt and complete IRONMAN Tempe.  This is the year......this is the time.......my journey up the IRONMAN Everest has reached Camp 1.  Base Camp is in the rearview (yay for cheesy analogies :) )

I get all tingly when I think about it.  Back in 2007 when I let the idea of IRONMAN enter my brain I could not have even imagined that 9 years later I would be well on my way.  The starting line mere months from being my reality.  Makes me antsy with anticipation.


Oh how glad I am though that I still have those months to prepare myself for this amazing and life changing experience.  With the addition of Lady Dash to my crew I now have everything I will need to get there........ now its just the training.  How do you teach your body to swim 2.4 miles,  pedal non stop for 112 miles on a tiny seat and then run 26.2 miles in one 17 hour window.  Short story?.......by doing it.  Longer story?......by doing it with the help of someone educated and experienced in how to do it efficiently.  


I am ETERNALLY grateful for the AZ TRI Club and even more grateful for the new group I have found to train with, the Las Sendas Run, Bike, TRI group.  I am surrounded by incredibly accomplished, seasoned athletes who see what we all do as a team sport even though we all race individually.  


So I am now working with a coach who has me on a scheduled weekly plan.  Its taking some adjustment and consistent planning to fit it all in, but I am determined to follow her guidance and gain the most from it.  After all....I have many races to do.

Lost Dutchman Marathon
Phoenix Marathon
Marquee Olympic TRI
Rocky Point Olympic TRI
Espirit De She Olympic TRI
Mountain Man Half IRONMAN
Lifetime Olympic TRI
IRONMAN

If the journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step then I am well on my way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment